The tool I tested makes the 3dsMax UI mimic Maya. Seems to work very seamlessly. It's pricey ($70!) but there is a trial version and student pricing available. (I'll add that here if you find out what it is!)...
Click to go to digitalRaster's site.
With the Switcher plugin for 3ds Max® you'll get the renowned Maya® workflow within 3ds max! Switcher allows you to use the same mouse and keyboard accelerator keys to navigate your viewports, make selections, and snap objects together in 3ds max as you would in Maya. Artists that use both 3ds max and Maya in production will save time and energy with a unified user interface. Additionally, Switcher has many flexible settings that allow for certain features to be toggled on and off depending on how you would like to work.
- Maya viewport navigation (Rotate/Pan/Zoom with Alt+LMB/Alt+MMB/Alt+RMB)
- Maya selection keyboard accelerators (Add/Subtract/Toggle with Control+Shift/Control/Shift)
- Maya time scrubber "sticky" accelerator
- Maya snapping "sticky" accelerator (Grid/Point/Curve/Angle)
- Flexible options dialog
- Compatible with 3ds max 6, 7, 8, 9, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 (32 and 64 bit)
- Also compatible with 3ds max Design 2009, 2010, and 2011 (32 and 64 bit)